I got Platelets yesterday and I always seem to have issues with them after a few transfusions. So in case of any problems they pre-med me with 25mg Benadryl, 50mg Hydrocortisone, 20mg Pepcid and 650mg of Tylenol. Well yesterday I had a reaction starting with my eyes - they started to get scratchy so I checked in the mirror to see if my eyelashes were falling out and getting stuck in my eyes. Well one look told me I was reacting to the platelets. My eyes were red, swollen and watering and wanting to close. I mentioned it to Pam my nurse and she had an NP look at me. By this time my hands were itchy and I had a rash and some hives. So next time they are going to 'wash' the platelets before I get them, they say it cuts down on plasma and other 'stuff'. It's all beyond what I understand so I'll trust that their 'cleaner' does a good job!
My hair has started falling out so I shaved it all off...not really a good look but it will have to do for now.
![]() |
| Thank you Patrick and Katie for the t-shirts! |

Looking great!!!! Keep up the hard work ;)
ReplyDeleteHeather Kimmel
Hey, you look great. You still have more hair than I do. It's been a slow process! At least I am headed in the right direction. Sorry about the platelet reaction. I remember washing red cells for patients at one of my jobs, but that's about all I remember. Too many years and too much chemo since then. :-) Praying for a quick rebound of wbc's and platelets.
ReplyDeletePraying, praying!
Janet