Tuesday, November 2, 2010

November 1st - Last day of 4th chemo session

Well I didn't post anything about last Friday's session because it was so boring. 4hrs, Creatinine came down a tiny amount and that was about it. Everything stayed about the same white blood cell count is trending down as expected blaa blaa.
It's weird I've had some really crappy days where the nausea gets to be a pain and drugs don't get rid of it at all, then the next day it's all rosy comparatively.
So my last chemo session day (scheduled) before stem cell harvest started off as usual at home with Kristy looking for a good vein. James showed he's been watching and learning...
 He pulled up his sleeve and pointed out where we should be aiming...on Daddy. Kristy of course got in first time and I saw the best blood return I have seen....well ever probably!
Clinic was busy plus I think they forgot I was was there, things seemed to move suspiciously fast when I reminded them I had an 11 o'clock appt. and it was now 12.30 and I was still in reception no labs drawn.
So after 2hrs waiting in reception labs were drawn there, we got a room and started 2hrs of IV fluids before any meds.... I was looking forward to the doctors visit as I have a few questions but instead had 3 minutes with a nurse practitioner which wasn't very informative. So my actual meds were put in IV in about 20 minutes and then we were done. Kristy had to remind them we had no meeting or tests set up at all. So we then waited again for someone to set some appts up....do I sound just a little peeved?
So after 5.25 hours we got to leave. Oh yeah, numbers were fine, Creatinine came down again a little from 2.19 to 2.12.
Nausea should get a bit better as I'll not be getting any meds for a little while. One week off then tests, well the tests actually start this Thursday with various blood tests on 4,8 and 11th. Bone Marrow biopsy on the 17th, then some more tests I have no dates for at the moment.
It looks like the 2 days of high dose chemo (Melphalan) start on the 6th of December as long as I pass all my tests then transplant on the 9th.
So phase 2 is starting with any luck. I am happy things are progressing, I am quite interested in how sick I'm going to feel and be. How I manage to deal with it (how many times will "pain in the arse" be used when Kristy refers to me) and of course something that weighs on my mind, how it will be balancing time with kids and not getting any infections.
Also I've been asking questions that while wanting answers have realized no accurate answers are available yet. Like how much kidney function will I have when all this is done and what kind of energy level can I expect. Again, I think I'll be falling back on my tried and tested "hope for the best and prepare for less than that" . We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Besides having to sit in reception rooms it seems like it's all starting to gather momentum!

    Keep positive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't wait to see you all in just a few weeks! maybe the kids can play the Cat in the hat game...

    ReplyDelete