Thursday, July 26, 2012

Well Blue Cross Blue Shield came back today and rejected our 2nd and last appeal...but there are a couple more things we can do. We can contact the State Insurance Commissioner in Topeka and ask them to review the decision of the insurance company, they can over rule it. The other route we can go is for Kristy to contact the benefits department through her employer (KU Med) because our insurance is something called a "Self-Funded" policy, meaning that KU provides health care and insurance benefits to employees out of their own funds.  We were told that in many cases, the organization itself (i.e. KU Med) can overturn the decision of the insurance company. Both seem long shots to me and I must say I feel exhausted with the whole thing. My doctor here in Kansas has looked at my contract with the insurance company and feels strongly that it supports this treatment (the allogeneic transplant in NY), which of course so does the transplant team at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NY. 
This treatment was the best shot I had at a cure, it was only a 25% chance, but it was a chance. Sadly without it I have a slim chance of seeing my kids grow up. That makes me sad and this evening I cannot kick that feeling. Tomorrow is another day and we will get on with the two last shots we have. I will also start plan B, as I have been off any maintenance drugs for 3 weeks and need to start them up again as soon as possible, and investigate any other treatments that will help me stay around as long as possible.

If anything changes, we will let you all know.  In the meantime, thank you all for your kind thoughts and words of encouragement - they are appreciated far more than we can ever express.

3 comments:

  1. Surely one of these companies can see sense!!! Makes me so angry that they can quibble of small print whilst not realising the human cost.

    Hang in there buddy, I hope something will work out.

    Love to all

    Az

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you and your entire family. How do you make the best decision with all the up and down emotions? You continue to be in our daily prayers. The prayer now is to give wisdom and insite to the insurance companies and docs. Cathy R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you consider doing it at KU? Is that an option?

    ReplyDelete