Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First Post

This is not the catchiest of blog titles and certainly not one I would have chosen for myself or in fact anyone, but here we are.
So, a very quick background: About 7 weeks ago I felt pretty strong fatigue and then 3 weeks ago nausea with a 10 lb weight loss.  I eventually went to the doctor, had lots of tests and found that my kidneys weren't working very well. Through a kidney biopsy and then a bone marrow biopsy we found out last Friday that the confirmed diagnosis is Multiple Myeloma.  This is a cancer in the bone marrow that affects my plasma cells and therefore produces lots of extra proteins.
Monday morning 8.16.10 at 9am Kristy and I met the doctor and team that will guide me through my treatment. As fate would have it our doctor, Dr. Ganguly, works along side Kristy sometimes in the Transplant ICU, so he was kind of surprised to see her out of scrubs.
So after a 3 hr meeting and way too much information we were done for the day.
This Friday 8.20.10 I start my treatment: two days per week of low-dose chemo for 6-9 weeks depending on my body's response, then some high dose chemo for a short period of time and then a bone marrow transplant.

10 comments:

  1. Dear Brian,

    thats no good news. All my best wishes for you and your family. Your writing reads cristal clear and according to teh situation it also reads positive.
    Keep beeing as positiv as posible and I hope you have a good and trustworthy medical team.

    I´ll keep in touch.

    manfred

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Brian

    that has knocked me for six. It sounds like they have caught in the early stages and lets face it, America is the place to have medical problem solved. My thoughts are with you, Kristy and the children as are Gary's.
    Speak to you soon
    Lots & lots of love

    Maria & Gary xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian,

    I'm so sorry to hear this. You can bet we'll be praying. Please, please let us know if there is anything we can do to make the load lighter on you and your family. Nicole forwarded me Kristy's note about your transplant. Is there a reason they are giving you back your own marrow instead of someone else's? I don't know anything about bone marrow transplants but if mine is a match and it's better I will gladly share.

    Praying for you.
    -J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Brian and Kristy,
    Just read the email Kristy sent, and words can't express how sad and shocked we are right now. We are praying and will continue to do so, for strength, and wisdom for the docs, for healing, for the "peace that passes all understanding". We love you guys. If there is anything at all we can do...let us know.
    Nicole Regehr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian, Kristy, Sophie, and James-

    I am SOOOO SORRY and SAD to hear of this new challenge you guys face! I will be praying for you everyday! Keep trying to be positive and feed off the love you give each other as a family! If you EVER need anything please let me know!

    Love, Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - this is a real shock, bad news :( Keep positive and keep the faith...

    To echo what J said - if you need a donor give me a shout, I don't know much about it but I'm guessing family members may be a better match?

    Cheers
    P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Brian and Kristy,

    We know that tomorrow starts what will be a difficult journey for Brian and for you as well Kristy. We are praying for a cure but will settle for a thirty-year remission. What we know from experience is that Brian will survive this cancer you will both get through this and life will return to normal. You are in our prayers.

    George & Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally unexpected! Life sure takes us on some bumpy rides. I am praying for you. Rest gently in His hands. We are awaiting a triumpht victory. Best of luck on your fiest day of treatment. Knock out those little buggers.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brian & Kristy,
    Just wanted to let you know that Summer and I would be praying for you both! You two are such wonderful and loving people please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. We'll be praying for God's best for you as you battle this cancer.
    Your friends,
    Brent & Summer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just heard your news Brian. A positive attitude is very important and you seem to have that. I sincerely hope all continues in this positive vein (sorry for that pun) for you and your family. You will be in our thoughts.
    Vivienne.
    PS I think your communication skills are excellent (misspellings aside).

    ReplyDelete