Tuesday, August 24, 2010

2nd Low dose chemo appt.

8.23.10 So it turns out I'm difficult...who knew! Well at least my veins are, the nurse tried twice to find one to no avail. So I asked if nurse Kristy could have a go before we bothered anyone else. She got it first time...go Kristy! 
So although we didn't have a doctors visit Dr McGuirk came by and told us they are going to add a med to my current list. He handed us a paper from a brand new completed study from Boston with good results in getting people to the transplant stage. The stat was 100% for getting people into a position for transplant. They are checking that it is as effective when the patient has reduced kidney function (like me). But they seem to have their finger on the pulse as far as looking to the latest treatment which is very encouraging.
So blood has been taken and I will be very interested to see the Creatinine level.
In the next few days they will be adding Revlimid to Velcade both which are chemo drugs. They weren't sure about how or if to introduce this into my meds before they found this new study. I think the worry was kidney function which with this new study has been taken away for now.
Okay so jump to 6.30am Tuesday morning and here we are:
So the Creatinine went up a little 1.94 which was a pity but they have decided to go with Revlimid at 10mg instead of the standard 25mg. This should mean it goes easy on my Platelet count, 25 might be too much with a 'not too healthy' set of kidneys which would drive down the platelet count.

Bugger, I hear James waking....will come back to this later, 6.40am - that's a lay in for him!
1pm...
So I filled out lots of paperwork to get the Revlimid which should arrive end of this week. From there they will juggle that in with the Velcade and Dex so they all end together so I have a week off drugs before the 2nd session...if that makes any sense.
BTW: I have been told by my wife that my grammer, well isn't great...she's so lovely. Well it won't be changing anytime soon so please enjoy it as a quirkiness from the old country, we all speak/write like this there...alegedly.
The Dex gave me a little insomnia so was a slow out of the blocks this morning. Took the kids to the Library early in case my 'comedown' off the steroid is as tiring as Friday.
Nothing else, except to say we felt encouraged by our visit yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment