Thursday, August 22, 2019

CAR T cell Immunotherapy clinical trial


Well, its been a while since I've posted and lots has happened of course. But lets look forward. I'm resurrecting this blog because I'm leaving town again and want to keep friends and family up to date as much as I can. My latest chemo stopped working which is my eighth line of treatment, there aren't really any decent chemo options left. So back in July I was evaluated for a CAR T cell treatment in Seattle, at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA). I leave on Tuesday for Seattle, all going well I will leave there November 19th in remission. That's Plan A, and I am focusing on that until I'm told otherwise.
My time at the SCCA will involve lots of tests followed by my T cells being retrieved from my blood. They will then spend 3-4 weeks in a lab being engineered to fight Myeloma. After which they are infused back into my body and start eradicating the cancer on a cellular level, which is pretty amazing. 35 days after I get my cells back all going well I'll be allowed to go home.
CAR T cell therapy has good statistics for people like me who have failed lots of different treatments. They are getting 83% of patients like me into full remission which is an amazing amount given 8 failed treatments. So the hope is that my disease doesn't go too crazy, and my kidneys hold out until I get my cancer fighting T cells back.
I plan to write updates as I go along.
I want to say thank you to all the people who have got me to here and all the people who are making the trip and stay in Seattle possible. Hopefully I can get to Nov 19th in one piece and return home in remission.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. All my good thoughts and energy are directed to you and your family. Heal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you all . Following you every step of the way x Go kick cancers butt 💙

    ReplyDelete