Just got back today from
Memorial Sloan Kettering hospital in NYC. We got lots of information and I had
lots of tests. So lets see how much I remember and how much Kristy does…
I had lung and heart
function tests, a chest x-ray, bone marrow biopsy, cat scan, lab work (25
vials!), and I did my first stress test - all were fine.
I felt a little concerned
meeting Dr Koehne for the first time having come so far along the road to
having the transplant – what happens if I look into his eyes and I don’t trust
him.. Well I’m happy to say I like him, and he answered all our questions. He
tells it how it is no beating around the bush or sugar coating – just like Dr
McGuirk, so that is good!
So I asked him about the 20%
mortality in the first year that I understood from our preliminary meeting with
Dr Giralt. He thought it was more like 10-15%, which seems to be going in the
right direction.
Writing this down tonight I
have forgotten most of what was said over the 45 minute meeting, however my
general feeling is that I have a better chance of coming through this in one
piece than what I thought before the meeting. So leaving I felt better and more
confident about my future.
And here are the details of
what she remembered….
Dr. Koehne walked in the
room and warmly shook my hand. He
had very kind eyes and immediately put me at ease. He started the conversation by addressing what Dr.
Richardson had suggested with a medication management scheme and then went on
the explain the difference in a t-cell depleted allo txplant vs. a conventional
allo txplant. He explained that
the GVH (graft vs. host) in a t-cell depleted txplant is significantly reduced
so much that some people never even have any GVH. He said that many years ago it was thought that having some
GVH was good for keeping away the disease, but that actually there is a “graft
versus tumor” (GVT) effect, which is all you really need to keep the disease at
bay. In a t-cell depleted txplant,
the t-cells are given in very small increments at 5, 8, and 12 months so that
they can monitor for GVH vs. GVT effects.
If the t-cells at 5 months cause some GVH disease in the patient, then
the 8 month t-cell infusion is either not given or is delayed. During this time they also monitor
frequent labs and have specific things they’re looking for in order to monitor
the GVT effect. He said that Dr.
Richardson does not recommend this at this time simply because he does not know
enough about it because it is not widely published (because it’s still a
clinical trial) and also because a conventional allo txplant has many more side
effects and risks, which are not in the best interest for patients with myeloma
– but that this type of transplant will be the way of the future. He said that in their experience at
Sloan Kettering, one t-cell depleted txplant works better than 2 autologous
txplants.
We asked several questions
about statistics and survival rates, etc.
He said that he honestly didn’t know all of the statistics behind
everything. When we asked him
about a cure rate he said, “Well, that’s hard to say because what is a
cure? I consider a patient cured
when they die of something unrelated to their disease.” He’s been doing transplants for a long
time but has only been doing t-cell depleted txplants for about 5 years. He did say that he has several myeloma
patients who are still in complete remission, with no evidence of disease,
after 5 years.
So that is what we remember. I'm tired now and it is late - so that's it for now.
All in all a good trip.
It sounds like it went well. I am happy to hear the tests were good. That had to be a very tiring time. I am excited about your treatment there. I have a good feeling about it and you will continually be in our prayers. Matt at the clinic says"Hi" and I have his sister's info that he asked me to email to you. So I will do that later tonight. Bless you both!
ReplyDeleteJanet